Best Earplugs for sleeping with a snorer
History of earplugs
Earplugs have been on the market for a long period of time, the first being invented in 1907 by Max Newger of the German company popular for wax earplugs. The other invention was in 1962 by Ray and Cecilia Benner who used pure silicon.
The present day earplugs inventions were in 1972 where the National Research Corporation led by Ross Gardener and his team tried the material to be used which was mainly polyvinyl chloride. All these developments were to get the best and safe material to be used in the earplugs to give you the best service.
Snoring is a condition that disturbs many during sleep. It might be very disturbing sleeping next to a person snoring as you lack sleep and that can leave you feeling exhausted. It is a condition that can be influenced by lifestyle changes such as overweight, drinking alcohol, smoking and also bad sleeping position.
The good news is that, there are certain aids like snore pillows which can help reduce snoring as well as earplugs which help reduce snoring noise making you sleep comfortably without destructions from your partner.
Earplugs are becoming the talk in the market due to their unique features and increased need which help them curb loud noises such as snoring. They are designed in a unique way making them the best remedy choice.
However, many brands on the market claim to offer the best services but only few delivers what it promises. Fortunately, you don’t have to worry as this review has simplified the best brands for you to choose from without any disappointments.
Before choosing the best earplugs, ensure that they meet the basic standards of the Noise Reduction Rating (NNR). This is because, all brands vary in their percentile protection coverage and they should be tested and approved for your use. Moreover, you should select earplugs depending on the age of the user because children also get affected by the noise at night.
Earplugs are very common and can be found anywhere from drug stores to online shops and from your doctor. However, most over-the –counter earplugs are made from soft foam and silicon rubber which do not block all the noises rather they dull the noises and are good for single use.
Why consider Earplugs?
Earplugs are the first solution to curb loud noises like traffic, music and snoring. These noises tend to affect millions of people across the world mostly when it happens during sleep. You are not able to rest properly leading to an exhausted and less focused you.
All this may affect your Daily routine as well as leaving you with insomnia symptoms which may affect your wellbeing. The best earplugs may save you from these problems.
Who needs sleeping earplugs?
Earplugs are very essential to most people who need sleep but there are hindrances. For example:
- People who have partners who snore
- Those who have babies and need sleep
- Those who live in noisy neighborhoods as well as near busy roads
- Those who work night shifts and are unable to sleep during the day due to noises which hinders their concentration.
What are the advantages of Earplugs?
Earplugs are very common in many households and may are mostly preferred for their protective role. Additionally, there are other good things which make them more usable. They include the following:
They are the first Solution-You are not forced to move out of the bed or make your partner breathe slowly how you want them to. This helps strengthen your relationships as you do not have to force your partner strain changing a behavior which might be tiresome on their side.
Gives you the rest you Deserve-Using earplugs ensures that you receive good rest enabling you wake up feeling relaxed, energized and happy for every day’s activities. Helps you tell anxiety and tiredness in the morning goodbye thus boosts your health every day.
Controls all Noises-It’s not only snoring that might leave you feeling uncomfortable during your sleep. Earplugs ensures all kind of noise from around you, be it the neighbors door banging or cars hooting, you are safe as they work on all noises giving you a peace of mind during sleep.
Factors to look for when selecting the best earplugs
When it comes to making a decision concerning the best products, in this case the earplugs for snoring may be tricky as all earplugs are designed with the same purpose in mind, to block noise during sleep. However, there are certain factors to help you make an easy decision as well as getting value for your money. They include the following:
Do they meet the required standards?
According to the US and other countries, the earplugs have to meet the requirements of the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) which rates the hearing protectors by the noise they block. According to the NRR, a good earplug should have a high NRR that ranges above 30.
Are the earplugs comfortable?
Good sleep is all about comfort from the surrounding as well as a relaxed body and mind. Ensure to get earplugs which are well fitting, not too small as they can stick in the ear as well as letting in noise and not too large as they may end up damaging your eardrum and makes those who sleep on their sides uncomfortable. The size is the most important aspect as it gives you the comfort. Go for the earplug that fits and complements your ear canal perfectly.
What kind of material is it made from?
Ensure the material used are soft and flexible and can give you all the comfort you need even when you are sleeping on your sides. some of the materials used are wax, silicon and polymer made in disposable or reusable models.
What is their ability to insert and remove?
Ensure you go for the earplugs which you can insert into your ear and remove them with ease. You don’t need the earplugs which you will have to squeeze or fold too much to fit. Also the right size ensures easier insertion and pulling out. When you go for the wrong size, they may stick in the ear causing damage.
Types of Earplugs for snoring
More than 20 companies have come up with different types of earplugs to fit their customers’ needs. However, they try to differ in little aspects like material used and comfort. Fortunately, getting the best earplug for you has been made easy as you can choose the type that fits you best. They include the following:
Custom made Earplugs-These earplugs are the best when it comes to your ear canal size. In this case your ear canal is measured and the dimensions taken to the earplugs manufacturers to be made fitting according to your size. They are also fitted as both passive and active devises.
Disposable Earplugs-These are designed only for a limited number of use. Should not be washed as the material expands when you dry it making it unsuitable for use since it loses its original fitting nature. Once used should be disposed. It should only be used for one to two times until a new pair is required.
Wax earplugs- This are among the first earplugs created on the market. Until date, wax is being used along with other materials like cotton which produce the highest quality and comfortable earplugs. Once you use this earplugs, they work with according to your body temperature in the ear converting it into a protective core which curbs the noise and sounds from the surrounding. They can also be easily molded into the bowl of the ear with ease.
Industrial/reusable earplugs-These earplugs on the other hand can be used and reused as many times as possible. They can be washed, dried and molded back into the ear canal fitting perfectly. They are made from plastic and silicon which gives it more durability to last longer. However, they should not be shared as they may lead to development of ear infection.
What are the best Earplug brands to choose from?
When it comes to selecting the best brands, one should be careful in choosing one as all promise to be the best on the market. Consider looking for the brands that are popular and have been on the market for a longer period of time. Fortunately, on that decision you need not worry as I have made it easy for you with a number of the most trusted brands on the market to satisfy your needs. All this has been possible through research and reviews from amazon sites and others. These brands are the most effective to be at the top. These top brands include the following:
6. Flents Quiet Please Foam Earplugs
This model offers the best and comfortable earplugs on the market. You are able to sleep peacefully without noticing you have them on. However, they are cheap and are the best when it comes to snoring and no other noises.
What are the features
- Design-The non-tapered design provides maximum comfort
What I loved about Flents Quiet Please Foam Earplugs
- They give you the maximum comfort you need
- They are effective for those with sensitive skin as they do not cause irritation
- They are easy to insert and pull out because there is no need for squeezing
- They are safe as they are latex free
What I didn’t like
- They get dirty easily due to their bright color
- They are short thus not good for those with long ear canals
- They are only limited to snoring noises.
5. Hearos Ultimate Softness snoring earplugs
Hearos Ultimate brand is known for the soft earplugs made from polyurethane foam. They also have the reputation for not only comfortable but also effective earplugs for use. This model is specifically designed to fit people with smaller ear canals and need more comfort during sleep. It also has a protection of 32 NRR which is good.
When comfort is your driving force for purchase and have been disappointed by other models look no further as this is your ideal choice for your money. You can get it from the online stores like the amazon.
What are the features?
- Comfort-they are the most comfortable earplugs to sleep in as they adjust to fit the ear canal
- Material- the special foam gives you the comfort as it is able to expand and gives you more room for insertion.
- Design- they are designed to fit all ear canal sizes starting from the small ear canals.
- Effectiveness-you can get all the comfort as they are easier to insert and pullout
What I liked about Hearos Ultimate
- They are easy to use and clean
- They are perfect for blocking noises thus sleep comfortably.
- They are good for the side sleepers as they adjust according to your ear
- They are well fitting and cannot fall off as you turn
- They are effective for those with small ear canal as they adjust to fit your size
What I disliked about Hearos Ultimate
- They are expensive
- They are not effective for those with longer ear canals as they can stick easily when pushed further.
- After inserting them in the ear, you have to hold wait for them to expand to create a fitting seal
4. Ohropax Wax Earplugs
Ohropax make the most comfortable and remedy earplugs. They are mostly recommended for people who have delicate ears and are not getting relief from other earplugs. They have a protection of 27 NRR. Ohropax brand has been around since 1907 and its ingredients have not been changed since as they do not cause intolerances and it is a favorite to many. However, it does not block out all noises, you are able to sleep peacefully.
Ohropax earplug model is made from wax soaked in in a mixture of petroleum jelly and paraffin wax which makes them safe for use. If you are a person who has allergies or sensitive skin, this is the model to look for. This is because it is made from natural ingredients which are safe for everyone. Besides that, you get more comfort and that guarantees you the value for your money. Look no further.
What are the features
- Comfort-They are designed to give you comfort and good rest
- Material-The wax used is safe for use and does not cause allergies. Moreover, it has cotton wool which makes it non-stick.
- Design-The special design makes it unique and effective in noise protection
What I loved about Ohropax wax earplugs
- They are very comfortable
- They are easily inserted and pulled out of the year as they are fitting
- They are safe as the material used does not cause allergies or intolerances.
- They can also be used during the day during an activity which requires total concentration.
- They are very effective to blocking noises
- They can be used immediately after being inserted into the ear
- Made from natural ingredients
What I did not love about ohropax wax
- can be affected by certain chemicals
- They should not be used in places with high temperatures as wax melts
- They are limited to only single use
- After use, you should wash your hands with soap to remove the sticky grease left on your fingers
- When kneading, it leaves sticky wax on the fingers
- They can be uncomfortable when sleeping as wax tends to drop from the ear when sleeping.
3. Moldex 6800 Pura-fit foam earplugs
Moldex pura-fit earplugs are among the top rated earplugs on the market. With the highest protection of 33 NRR rating, you are guaranteed of a comfortable and noise free sleep. They are also made to fit the long length of the ear canal and effective for back sleepers. Additionally, they are made of soft memory foam which protects your ear making your sleep calm and comfortable.
What are their features
- Material-the soft foam materials ensure you get the comfort you deserve
- Effectiveness-They ensure you an effective noise protection rating thus peaceful sleep
- Size-They are designed for those who have a longer ear canal and not those who have a shorter ear canal as it can stick out.
What I liked about Moldex Pura-Fit foam earplugs
- They are very comfortable to sleep in
- They are very affordable
- They are easy to insert and remove due to their long nature
- They block out most of the noise
- They are environmental friendly thus not intolerable.
What I disliked about Moldex Pura-Fit
- They take a longer period to expand
- They are not comfortable for those with shorter ear canals
2. Howard Leight Max 1
Howard Leight models are known for their effectiveness and comfort. They are made from polyurethane foam which gives it the soft feeling. It has a high protective rating of 33 NRR which makes it the best in blocking almost all the noises.
Moreover, it is specially designed to give you the comfort and peace you deserve during sleep because of their contour design and the special finishing which help prevent noise as well as holding the earplug in its place during sleep.
Howard is a very respected and popular brand as it has another two models the LL1 Laser Lite earplugs and the LPF-1 Max Lite which are recommended because of their size the medium and the smallest since Leight Max 1 is largest.
This model is recommended for those people who have longer canals and struggle when it comes to pulling them out. Additionally, it can be very effective for those who have sensitive skin mostly the fingers. Look no more as these awesome earplugs got you covered. The quality of the earplugs is overwhelming
What are the Features
- Design-Their contour and bell design structure makes it easier to Insert and remove the earplug as well as avoid blocking in the ear canal.
- Material-the soft self-adjusting foam makes it more comfortable to sleep in and the closed pore finishing prevents dirt from building up in the ear.
- Effectiveness-they are the most effective earplugs as they are able to block almost all noises thus peaceful night sleep.
What I liked about Howard Leight Max 1
- They are easier to insert and remove
- They are very affordable as they come both in reusable and disposable thus saving you on buying all the time
- They block out almost all the noises thus effective
- They are environmental friendly thus safe for use
- They are very comfortable as it does not cause irritation
- They can be washable or you can wipe them and reuse
What I didn’t like
- They block out all noise thus you cannot hear anything when emergency arises
- If they are not washed and dried properly can lead to infections
- They are not effective for people with smaller ear canal as you will have to squeeze and force them in which may be uncomfortable
1. Mack’s Original soft foam earplugs
Mack’s brand has been on the market for a longer time due to their wide range of quality earplugs. This model is the most effective by the protection rating of 32 NRR enabling I block most noises giving you the rest you deserve. They are fully skinned and tapered to fit even the smallest of the ear canal.
Mack’s original is made using the best quality foam giving its users the value for their money. It is very affordable yet comfortable. If you want a classic and trusted model, look no further as this is your stop. you will enjoy comfortable and stress free nights.
What are the features
Design-The cylindrical design allows no pressure into the ear and are easy to insert and remove. Its squishy nature gives it ease of insertion.
Material-The low pressure super foam gives you a comfortable feel as well as preventing pressure build up in the ear.
What I liked about Mack’s Original soft foam
- They are easy to insert and remove because of their squishy nature
- They are very effective as they block out almost all noises
- They are recommended for those people with sensitive skin as it does not pose any health problems
- They are very affordable
- They are very comfortable to sleep in due to the soft material used
- They are environmentally friendly thus safe for use
- They are gentle in the ear due to their low foam used
What I didn’t like
- They are mostly recommended for people with medium and smaller ear canals thus not as effective for adults
What are the Tips for using Earplugs?
- Consider washing your hands before inserting earplugs
- Do not force the earplugs too far into the ear canal to avoid sticking
- Do not reuse earplugs but if necessary, wash them and dry them properly to avoid infections
- Use the right size of the earplugs to avoid pain and damage
Are these earplugs safe?
These earplugs are safe. However, there are certain health risks. For instance:
- High risk of ear infections-When earplugs are not used properly or cleaned as required, bacteria is able to grow on them leading to ear problems. Also if they are forced into the ear canal can cause pain.
- Damage to the inner ear-when you push the earplugs too far or inserting them fast, they can go deep causing damage to the eardrums.
- When used for a longer period can result in hearing loss, tinnitus and discharge. This is because of too much wax buildup.
Earplugs are very important. There are many brands on the market to choose from. They all promise the best but it is important for you to try out to know which one is more comfortable for you. Quality, size and comfort matters a lot for a peaceful night. If you lack sleep and need it too much but you have hindrances such as noise and snoring, consider going for a pair of earplugs which are readily available on amazon stores as well as other drug stores.